Thursday 11 September 2014

On Scottish Independance

Dear friends,

I am a little sad that Apple has discontinued the iPod Classic.

It was their decision, and I'm sure they gave it a great deal of thought and weighed up all the pros and cons, and to them it made sense. But I think it's a mistake.

I think it marks the end of portable offline music playback. That's progress I guess.

I just liked having my entire music collection in my pocket, with a battery that lasts weeks rather than hours, ready for action without taking my eyes off the road. My mobile phone can't match that.

Maybe it opens up the market for small competitors to develop a terabyte portable media player, the TeraPod, but I'll have to wait for that to happen and it's going to take years.

Although iPods last for ever, I'm on my fourth, after previous ones were lost, stolen or affectionately given away. Anything could happen before the market provides a decent alternative for me.

Its not about me, its about Apple, with their business plan, their iPads and iWatches, their world has moved away from me.

So, me and Apple will soldier on, muddle through as best we can, with a little sadness, and nostalgia for the way things used to be, and the cool things we could do, maybe one day I'll get an iPhone or an iPad Mini.

I'm a little skeptical about the iWatch, I haven't had a wrist-mounted device for twenty years, and I thought that was progress. I can only wait and see if Apple were right.

All my love,

Your friend

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment