Tuesday 17 September 2013

London Walking GPS Trace

At weekends, odd days off work and occasionally in the evenings, I have spent the past three years wandering and running round London.
London walks 2011 to 2013
To make this trace image I use an Android app called Endomondo to track my position and speed when I'm out strolling, and to log my fitness stats online. From the Endomondo website I can download the GPS traces of individual routes as GPX files.

Then I use a website called GPSVisualizer to merge all my GPX files into a single plain text .txt file, this format keeps the filesize small. Then I can use GPSVisualizer to create the trace image from the txt file. This big image which is essentially my walking map of London.

GPSVisualizer limits the image size to 4000pix in its smallest dimension, and the input GPS files are limited to 3 megabytes.

To the north has me following the River Lea to Waltham Abbey and the M25. To the west is my old place of work, Merit House on Edgware Road, Colindale, and in the south west of the map is my current place of work, in Harlesden, reached by way of the Grand Union Canal.

At the bottom of the map you will probably recognise the shape of the Thames. The big cross like structure in the middle of the map is Dalston junction.

Pretty neat, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment